Friday, May 8, 2009

Cornish BFA show

So this afternoon I headed to the Cornish BFA show downtown and I was quite surprised by what I saw. I knew that Cornish had a very different design aesthetic- one that was more illustration based- but it also appeared as though their general educational focus was quite different than the UW Design program. There were soo many different kinds of projects it was a bit overwhelming. Some of them were very thorough and polished while others seemed a bit open-ended and incomplete. I almost wish they had each included a sample portfolio so you could have the opportunity to get a feel for all they're involved in- which some of them actually did, and it really helped to illustrate where their general interests lie. There were a couple projects that seemed almost design studies oriented which was nice to see, and a few projects that were very image methodology based. 
As for how the show was arranged- there were a few things that I really liked about how they dealt with each student's work. The show had very clean and simple take-away booklets with a small profile picture of each student and an image that represented their interests or work with was nice to carry with you through the show and reference when you came across their final project. Also, each student got their own section in the show. Either part of a wall or half a cubicle. I thought that was a nice touch because it allowed them to spread their work out, gave them move space to meet and greet guests, and allowed them to determine their own display style and have their business cards on display for whoever might be interested. 
Overall, it was really nice to have a brief look into what another school has been doing, and what their students have to offer in the field. It was interesting to see just how different our education has been- not necessarily better, but definitely different. Just another reason why I love design soo much- there are soo many different flavors and personalities involved.


Now on another note- this week I'm trying to concentrate on nailing down a grid and feel for my book. I want my cover fairly solid so that I have something clean to turn in on Wednesday for the judges. Monday morning hopefully I'll be coming in with an a nice selection of options for everyone to look at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment